Places to study
- Floor 1 - The lobby appears to be unlocked during the day and contains tables, couches, and a conference room.
- Floor 1 - The entire first floor is open 24/7.
- CS Lounge (enforced by Hokie Passport; if you're signed up for at least one CS course you can access)
- Floor 3 - Open 24/7.
- There is a Math department computer lab on this floor.
- Floor 1 - There are tables near the elevator, as well as study carrels around the corner from the Geography graduate student office.
- Floor 2 - The atrium has movable lounge chairs, as well as bistro tables. There are a number of electrical outlets available.
- Floor 3 - There is a table overlooking the atrium, and a table by the staircases behind the elevator with a view of the Upper Quad.
- Floor 4 - There is a table overlooking the atrium, and a table by the staircases behind the elevator with a view of the Upper Quad.
- Floor 3 - There is a table by the staircases behind the elevator with a view of the Upper Quad. There are multiple study desks in the hallway near the water fountains. On the hallway with 502 Major Williams, there are several couches and lounge chairs, as well as a table with a rolling chair.
- 5 - This is a designated quiet floor.
- 4 - Group study areas throughout the floor. The Graduate Student Study Lounge is near the main entrance staircase.
- 3 - This is a designated quiet floor.
- 2 - Group study areas throughout the floor.
- 1 - Cafe with seating, as well as group study areas.
- 1b - Area on floor 1 that has the special collections
- B - Actual basement. Probably not for students but there aren't any signs saying so, either. Accessible only by utility elevator down the long hallway on 1b. If the elevator breaks you'll probably die down there :( There's also external access on the side of university plaza.
- Floor 2
- Undergraduate Study Lounge
Torgersen Hall is open 24/7 to users with a valid Hokie Passport.
- Floor 1
- Tables, chairs, and couches (open 24 hours).
- Floor 3
- Torgersen Bridge is open 24/7, but the actual doors connecting it to Newman Library are locked.
Whittemore Hall is closed after 10pm and on weekends. ECE majors (or those enrolled in at least one ECE class) have 24/7 access via Hokie Passport.
- Floor 3
- 318 - ECE & ISE Student Study Area (not enforced).
- Floor 4
- 432 - CAD and Visualization Laboratory is a computer lab to which students can gain access by contacting the ECE IT personnel.
NCB has several dedicated study spaces on all floors.
There are wheeled trapezoidal tables, chairs, and plenty of power outlets distributed throughout the hallway of the upper floors. Construction Engineering majors have swipe access after-hours.