Lumos Networks is a fiber optic network service provider. Its products include data, broadband, voice, and IP services over a 5,800-mile fiber network in Virginia and West Virginia, as well as parts of Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. The company's formation was announced on August 8, 2011, combining the Wireline and FiberNet divisions of nTelos. The company is headquartered in Waynesboro, Virginia. Michael Moneymaker serves as the company's president and chief financial officer.
Split from nTelos
Lumos Networks formally split from nTelos following the close of business on October 31, 2011. Following a 1-for-2 reverse stock split of nTelos common stock, nTelos shareholders received one share of Lumos Networks common stock for each share of nTelos common stock that they owned following the split. Lumos Networks began public trading on the NASDAQ exchange on November 1, 2011 under the ticker symbol LMOS.
Lumos in Blacksburg
Lumos operates metro fiber-optic Internet services in Blacksburg, but is generally too expensive for residential customers. A symmetric 10-Mbps connection will cost about $300/month, and a symmetric 100-Mbps connection will cost about $1000/month. Unlike Comcast and NTC, Lumos offers 100% uptime guarantees through service-level agreements.
- "About Lumos Networks". Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Stuart, Bob (2011-09-09). "A new milestone". The News Virginian. Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. http://www.webcitation.org/637y4syHW. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Adams, Duncan (2011-09-09). "Ntelos companies form Lumos Networks Corp.". The Roanoke Times. Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. http://www.webcitation.org/637xGEIvM. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "NTELOS and Lumos Networks to Report Financial Results for Third Quarter 2011". The Wall Street Journal. 2011-11-02. Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. http://www.webcitation.org/637xQCRHL. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "NTELOS Holdings Corp. Completes Separation of Lumos Networks Corp.". Traders Huddle. 2011-11-01. Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. http://www.webcitation.org/637xm9Z8s. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "Lumos Networks begins trading on NASDAQ". Virginia Business. 2011-11-01. Archived from the original on 2011-11-12. http://www.webcitation.org/637yeb0Tu. Retrieved 12 November 2011.